1.14.2012

Best Saturday EVER!

Oh man oh man! Today was an amazing day! :) TJ volunteered his time to fix the planes that were damaged in the windstorm at the HAFB Museum which left Barrett and I all alone today. I decided today was the day to get some projects done I've been eyeing online for a week or so! Here goes:


 The first project I decided to tackle was making my own household cleaner {in place of 409} that was easy to make, didn't have any harsh chemicals, and smelled great! Well my friends, mission accomplished! So far I love this combination. To make it, I added 2 teaspoons of Borax, 4 tablespoons of vinegar, and not quite 4 cups of water. I also added a bit of eucalyptus oil and about 15 drops of 100% pure orange oil. Eucalyptus oil is supposed to be a great disinfectant and orange oil is great at cutting grease and smells great! :)


The next thing I wanted to get done was make my own laundry detergent. Barrett has a couple skin issues and I'm wondering if all the icky chemicals in the wash are the culprit. So to make this, I first grated the Fels-Naptha then adding 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup of Washing Soda. Then all you have to do is mix it really well. Then you can put it in your container. I found that glass one with the silver screw on lid at Hobby Lobby for less than $5. I thought that was a pretty good find! Unfortunately, I used a grater that made kind of big pieces of the soap so I used the blender to make it all uniform size. I was really really really wishing I had a food processor because I think that would have been about a gagillion times easier. Hm, future present perhaps??? ;)



Anyway, this is the after product. I love that it's all swirly and imperfect!

Ok, here's the part that I'm most excited about now. [Originally I was most excited about my homemade soap stuff] If you are on pinterest, you have probably seen tons of super cute craft ideas. Well, I decided I wanted to actually make one of those crafts! So today I made a super duper amazingly cute Valentine's Day wreath. If you decide to make one of these, just know you need an insane amount of ribbon. I had enough but I sort of wish I had a little more. Anyway.... I had nine rolls of ribbon and most of them were 9 feet long but a couple were 12 feet and one was even 15 feet. So yeah, you need LOTS.

 The first step is to wrap ribbon all the way around the wreath form. Yes, I didn't wrap it all the way around. If I do this again, I think I'll skip wrapping the whole thing and just do the bottom half.

 {Pretend I put this picture underneath the one right below this....}

 You cut the ribbon into 4 1/2" strips and then fold them in half and hot glue them. If you know how to thread the bobbin on your sewing machine you can use that to sew them all. I'm pretty sure that would save you a lot of time.... Otherwise, do like me and hot glue those puppies down! Then you open the little bottom part and hot glue that onto the wreath form. You'll do the same thing even if you sew the strips.

 This is the wreath maybe halfway done.... Keep on truckin' my friends.... Lots of time and hot glue gun burns!

 Ta-Da! All done! Isn't it so cute?! I LOOOOOOVE it! I think it's so fun and cutesy! And then there's a close up pic so you can see all my fun ribbon patterns! :)

So! What do you think of my day? What things have you made lately?

0 comments:

Post a Comment